La Union School of Arts and Trade was established in 1907 by D. Aran, an American, its founder and its first principal.
It was one of the earliest vocational schools in the Philippines; it started as an intermediate school with only five
teachers and 88 students. In 1917, Mr. Huncy, succeeded him until 1922. Secondary courses were then offered.
The intermediate curriculum was eventually dropped in 1927 and, in 1928, the La Union Trade School was transferred
to its present site and converted into the secondary level. It was the incumbency of the first Filipino principal,
Catalino Calica that the school turned out its first set of eight graduates. The school closed during the Second World War.
By virtue of R.A. 543 on 16 June 1950, the La Union Trade School was placed under the support of the national government.
R.A. 801 was enacted on 21 June 1952 to convert the institution into a National Regional School of Arts and Trades
known as the La Union School of Arts and Trades. Tranquilino de los Trinos was the first superintendent. In 1957,
Apolinario Apilado took over as the second superintendent and, in 1957, Fermin Taruc became the third superintendent.
Taruc's administration placed much emphasis in the improvement of the standard of instruction in all levels.
In 1975, Avelino Ascuncion assumed office as the fourth superintendent. The school served as a Regional Development
Center for Practical Arts in Region I. The degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology was offered during
the school year 1976-1977. The school accommodated the extension classes of UP Graduate School, Baguio City, for the
degree of Master of Management. Likewise, the school was chosen by Engineering Equipment Inc. as its training center
in northern Luzon where vocational graduates underwent further training in their fields.
On May 25, 1978, Hipolito Pacis took over as the fifth superintendent and this marked the greatest milestone for LUSAT.
The school was integrated into the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University on 15 January 1981 through P.D. 1778.
Dr. Bienvenido Agpaoa became its first president. In 1989, Dr. Manuel Corpus was installed as the second president.
In 1996, DMMMSU has been adjudged by the CHED (Commission on Higher Education) as number 7 among top universities
and colleges (public and private) in the Philippines. Most graduates rated high in their respective board and licensure
examinations. On 23 July 1999, Dr. Dionisio Gat Ducusin became the third president of the university.
The Mid-La Union Campus has Dr. Rodolfo R. Apigo as its chancellor, assuming the position on 23 September 1999.
With transformational leaders at the helm of DMMMSU and the MLUC in particular, the university is at the threshold
of the new millennium upholding excellence in instruction, research, extension, and production for global competitiveness.
Dr. Ernesto R. Gapasin, former MLUC chancellor became the fourth president of the university.
On January 11, 2001 while Dr. Rodolfo R. Apigo was redesignated as MLUC chancellor, Dr. Gapasin and Dr. Apigo attain
the status of a "distinct center of excellence in human and material and natural resources development, globally
relevant and competitive and focused on responsible citizenship, sustained economic growth and the improvement of
quality of life of the Filipino."
Through the years, Mid-La Union Campus, under the flagship of the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University has
developed and sustained itself to become the leading school in the region and one of the top educational
institutions nationwide. Proof of its excellence can be seen in the list of board topnotchers that MLUC has produced
over the past 30 years. MLUC takes pride in its continuing plight to be a distinct center of excellence.